Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Top five types of left-lane hogs

Many of you know what I'm talking about - those inconsiderate drivers who cruise along relatively slowly in the left-hand lane of a two-lane highway, while a big line of cars collects in back of them. They're out there, ready to delay you, especially if you're in a hurry. Sometimes I wonder if they don't coordinate their efforts via radio.

Well here's the top five types of left-lane hogs as I see it:
  • The "clueless" types - they don't realize the "passing lane" vs. "cruising lane" convention, they just figure there's two lanes, why not spread out & use both. They abhor a lane vacuum.
  • The "don't give a damn" types - difficult to distinguish from the "clueless", however they do exist. A quote I read from one "don't give a damn"-type fellow about the frustrated drivers stuck behind him in the left lane: "F'em. I am already speeding. You want to go faster, go around. Oh, and flash your f'ing lights at someone else. "
  • The "very, very slowly passing people in the right lane" types. They're aware of the passing lane vs. cruising lane convention, and are adhering to it, though very slowly.
  • The "not paying attention" types (though, to their credit, once they realize they're hogging the left lane, they tend get over to the right reasonably promptly).
  • The "above it all, don't know & don't care" types - these are people driving large trucks & SUVs who aren't concerned about the problems we little people think we're having, and they probably can't even see us anyway.
...Of course, there's other miscellaneous types, such as the "refuse to pass the cop in the left lane" type, a group I think we all belong to. :)

No comments: